The papain has many properties useful for a number of industries such as:
- Food > meat tenderizer
- Brewing > chillproofing of beer
- Pet food > palatability enhancers
- Cosmetic > skin creme, toothpaste
- Protein processing > hydrolyzing milk, whey, meat, fish and soy proteins processing
- Baking > glutens hydrolyzing
Among these many properties, the papain has in particular therapeutical properties as anti-inflammatory, burn debridement and antitumoral. Compounded with other enzymes, papain has the capability to treat many diseases or help to a better recovery. The papain is also used as digestive aid.